Georgios Vassilikogiannakis obtained his Ph. D. in Organic Chemistry in 1998 under the supervision of Prof. Michael Orfanopoulos at the University of Crete. His Ph. D. thesis explored mechanistic comparisons for the electrophilic additions of C60, 1O2, TCNE and RTAD to unsaturated substrates.
From 1999 until 2002 he was a post-doctoral fellow at the Scripps Research Institute (San Diego, U.S.A.) in the group of Prof. K. C. Nicolaou. In 2002 he was elected Assistant Professor at the University of Crete, in 2008 he was promoted to Associate Professor and in 2013 to Full Professor in the same department.
Total synthesis of biologically active natural products and analogs. Development of the sustainable chemistry of singlet oxygen and application to the synthesis of high value organic compounds. This research activity has been funded by the European Research Council (ERC-consolidating grant). Development of continuous flow reactors for gas-liquid biphasic reactions in nebula.
• Kalaitzakis, D.; Sofiadis, M.; Triantafyllakis, M.; Daskalakis, K.; Vassilikogiannakis, G. Org. Lett. 2018, 20, 1146 – 1149. "Asymmetric and site-selective [3 + 2]-annulations for the synthesis of high-value bicyclic lactams". [Highlighted as ACS Editors' Choice].
• Ioannou, G. I.; Montagnon, T.; Kalaitzakis, D.; Pergantis, S. A.; Vassilikogiannakis, G. ChemPhotoChem 2018, DOI: 10.1002/cptc.201800068. "One-pot synthesis of diverse -lactam scaffolds facilitated by a nebulizer-based continuous flow photoreactor".
• Kalaitzakis, D.; Triantafyllakis, M.; Ioannou, G. I.; Vassilikogiannakis, G. Angew. Chem. Int. Ed. 2017, 56, 4020 – 4023. "One-pot transformation of simple furans into octahydroindole scaffolds". [Highlighted in Org. Process Res. Dev. 2017, 21, 675].
• Kalaitzakis, D.; Triantafyllakis, M.; Sofiadis, M.; Noutsias, D.; Vassilikogiannakis, G. Angew. Chem. Int. Ed. 2016, 55, 4605 – 4609. "Photooxygenation of furylalkylamines: An easy access to pyrrolizidine and indolizidine scaffolds". [Highlighted in SYNFACTS 2016, 12, 995].
• Kalaitzakis, D.; Kouridaki, A.; Noutsias, D.; Montagnon, T.; Vassilikogiannakis, G. Angew. Chem. Int. Ed. 2015, 54, 6283 – 6287. "Methylene blue as photosensitizer and redox agent: Synthesis of 5-hydroxy-1H-pyrrol-2(5H)-ones from furans". [HIGHLIGHTED in HOT TOPICS in sustainable chemistry by WILEY-VCH].
• Kalaitzakis, D.; Noutsias, D.; Vassilikogiannakis, G. Org. Lett. 2015, 17, 3596 – 3599. "First total synthesis of pandamarine". [Highlighted and Front Cover in SYNFACTS 2015, 11, 1013].