Nikolaos Eleftheriadis graduated with BSc in Chemistry from Aristotle University of Thessaloniki in Greece. In June 2012, he graduated with MSc in Organic Chemistry from Aristotle University of Thessaloniki in Greece. He was awarded for outstanding performance of the MSc degree from Alexandrou Foundation. In December 2012, he moved to Groningen to pursue his doctoral degree in the division of Chemistry and Pharmaceutical Biology under the supervision of Prof. dr. Frank J. Dekker. He obtained his PhD with the distinction cum laude. His research focused on the inhibition and detection of 15-lipoxygenase, an enzyme which plays a crucial role in the biosynthesis of inflammatory signalling molecules.
After his PhD, he joined the group of Molecular Microscopy (University of Groningen, The Netherlands) as a postdoctoral researcher. Then, for his second postdoctoral research, Dr. Eleftheriadis joined the Molecular Bacteriology group (KU Leuven, Belgium). He was awarded with the prestigious postdoctoral fellowship (MSCA, FWO) (top 5% in Belgium). His focus was to define and understand the structural dynamics (using smFRET) of proteins that play an important role in bacterial pathogenicity, in order to design inhibitors as novel antibiotics. In addition to his scientific achievements, he founded ChessBioChem, a unique platform that enables the connection of research groups around the world to establish drug discovery projects based on their mutual expertise. In 2021, he was selected for an Assistant professor position in Biochemistry of the Chemistry Department at the University of Crete.
Chemical Biology, Medicinal Chemistry, Protein dynamics, smFRET, Human 15-lipoxygenase, SecA, Novel antibiotics
(1) Eleftheriadis, N.; Krishnamurthy, S.; Karathanou, K.; Smit, J; Portaliou, A; Chatzi, K.E.; Karamanou, S; Bondar, A.N; Gouridis, G.; Economou A. A nexus of intrinsic dynamics underlies translocase priming Structure 2021, 29, 1-13
(2) de Boer, M.; Gouridis, G.; Vietrov, R.; Begg, S. L.; Schuurman-Wolters. G.K.; Husada, F.; Eleftheriadis, N.; Poolman, B.; McDevitt, C. A.; Cordes, T. Conformational and dynamic plasticity in substrate-binding proteins underlies selective transport in ABC importers. E-life, 2019, 8, e44652
(3) Eleftheriadis, N.; Wojcik, M.; Zwinderman, M. R. H.; Dömling, A.; Dekker, F. J.; Boersma Y. Identification of potential antivirulence agents by substitution-oriented screening for inhibitors of Streptococcus pyogenes Sortase A. Eur. J. Med. Chem. 2019, 161, 93–100
(4) Guo, H.; Eleftheriadis, N.; Rohr-Udilova, N.; Dömling, A.; Dekker, F. J. Photoactivation Provides a Mechanistic Explanation for Pan-Assay Interference Behaviour of 2-Aminopyrroles in Lipoxygenase Inhibition. Eur. J. Med. Chem. 2017, 139, 633–643
(5) Eleftheriadis, N.; Thee, S. A.; Zwinderman, M. R. H.; Leus, N. G. J.; Dekker, F. J. Activity‐Based Probes for 15‐Lipoxygenase‐1. Angew. Chemie Int. Ed. 2016, 55, 12300 –12305
(6) Eleftheriadis, N.; Poelman, H.; Leus, N. G. J.; Honrath, B.; Neochoritis, C. G.; Dolga, A.; Dömling, A.; Dekker, F. J. Design of a Novel Thiophene Inhibitor of 15-Lipoxygenase-1 with Both Anti-Inflammatory and Neuroprotective Properties. Eur. J. Med. Chem. 2016, 122, 786–801